Walking Tour

dem-2Deming's downtown commercial buildings retain much of their historic integrity and remain part of a historic zone.

Thirty-seven (37) properties, out of 134 properties within the commercial district, have retained their historical significance.

At the present time, 16 buildings have been placed on the State Historic Register. Four of the 16 buildings are also on the National Register of Historic Places.

Start your "Historic Landmark Walking Tour" at the Deming Museum and Customs House and go north on Silver following the map. Return to the Museum and drive south or walk to the Luna County Courthouse Park and enjoy a relaxing moment at the park. The park is 4 blocks south of the Luna Mimbres Museum.

Descriptions of buildings on walking tour

Deming Luna Mimbres Museum
mimbres301 S. Silver

Built as an armory in 1917, it is a classic red brick, two story structure with decorative front concrete parapet and coat of arms. People from all over the world come to see this Museum: it is a treasure. The Museum is on the State and National Registers.
Custom House
customs304 S. Silver

Sanborn maps show it was essentially built by 1889. It was then reportedly known as the Custom House, and home of Judge Seaman Field, U.S. Customs Officer. Small additions were built in 1902, 1908, and 1930. It has a long front portico with Greek columns, a double gabled shingle roof, and a bay corner window. It retains both historic appearance and importance. It is also listed on the State and National Register.
Baker Hotel
baker120-124 S. Silver (corner of Spruce and Silver)

The two-story corner building with signboards, bulkheads, bay doors and a metal hood over lower floor individual shops, is reminiscent of the buildings of its time. The cement capped parapet has dark brick design beneath. With a rear arched brick transom door, this entire red brick structure served as a classic hotel. It was Deming's most important community meeting place and symbol of early importance of both Silver Avenue and Spruce Street. Listed on the State Register as part of the Silver Avenue Historic District.
Diamond Furniture Warehouse
112-114 S. Silver

These two buildings were completed by 1886, one as an office and hay store; the other as a livery and blacksmith. It is decorative brick, with mission features. It has multilineal mission parapets with brick relief. It still retains its historic appearance. It is listed on the State Register as part of the Silver Avenue Historic District.
Palmas Restaurant
veranda110 S. Silver

This building was built in 1902 and was originally the power source for the Deming National Bank. Later, it became a place for storage. A red brick building, it has a segmented arch door and windows, flat roof, stepped parapets and an attached garage with double wooden doors. It is listed on the State Register as part of the Silver Avenue Historic District.
Old Deming National Bank
122 E. Pine

Build and designed in 1893 by Sherpe and Koker of St. Louis, with recessed door, glass brick rear windows and iron buttresses in Richardsonian Romanesque style. The second floor windows are round arches with keystones. The interior has multiple staircases, a large safe and wall murals. Listed on the State Register as part of the Silver Avenue Historic Districts.
Bargain Barn
bank105-107 N. Silver

Completed in 1917 and expanded in 1930. The wood framed plate glass windows, signboard and bulkheads are visible. It has a truncated roof, concrete block and stone capped crenelations. A brick front and adobe rear are present. This building is listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties.
Antique Shop
sunshine114. N. Silver

Completed in 1913 this opened as a restaurant. It has a brick exterior and low gabled parapet with a fleur-de-lis ornamentation. The six boarded transom windows are still visible as a well as decorative buttresses. Wood bulkheads still support the windows. Listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties.

Star Barber Shop

116 N. Silver

Completed in 1913. Opened as a pool hall, it later became a harness shop. Original wood over adobe is replaced by the present brick exterior. It has a gabled front parapet, stepped side parapets and wooden bulkheads. Also listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties.
The New T-Shirt Print Shop
teeshirt118 E. Pine

Built in 1886 it expanded to the rear in 1902. Over the years it has been a grocery store, gentleman's furnishings, Chinese restaurant, cigar store, and a used furniture outlet. The front door has a side transom, a signboard and glass blocks. It has a flat roof, truncated corner caps and decorative cornice. On the State Register of Cultural Properties.
Morgan Hall
109 E. Pine

Built in 1908, It was originally the City Hall and fire station. It was remodeled in 1938 by the W. P. A. In Spanish Pueblo Revival Style. It has a recessed portico entry with vigas and ornate wood pillars with lintels and corbels. It has metal casement windows. The east addition has a portico with an ornate wood door. There is a large garage door to the old fire station at the rear of the building. Meeting rooms, a stage and auditorium with high ceilings are still used for meetings and stage productions and is an historic community center.
Deming Arts Center
morganDeming Arts Center 

100 S. Gold (corner of Pine & Gold)

This building was rebuilt after a 1914 fire. Modern blonde brick exterior has keystone window motifs. Brick and cement pilasters, metal and cement cornices, with occasional stone facing. The original etched metal vault is now used as an office. Listed in the State Register of Cultural Properties.
Waymaker Bookstore
star110 S. Gold

Completed in 1917, his building was used as offices and a Masonic Hall. This is a classic two story brick structure. Notice the recessed entry and double doors. There is a side door to the second floor. The glass brick area on side is a source of light from the south. Above the signboard are second floor transomed windows. The large wood cornice is topped by a cement capped parapet and flat roof. Also listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties.
J.A. Mahoney Building
mahoney122 S. Gold

Completed in 1912, it was one of Deming's important commercial structures from the 1920's to the 50's. The two story brick building is on State and National Registers. Notice the double doors and transoms. The yellow brick front, red brick sides and rear are a pleasing combination. At ground level are the bulkheads, above the windows and transoms are signboards, then a decorated cornice topped by a capped parapet.
Mimbres Brewing Company
teapot200 S. Gold

Built in 1886, it has been a stable, a meat market and other businesses. The front is brick with an inset bay door with transoms. It has a pressed tin ceiling. It is Queen Anne Commercial Style. Notice transoms that open for ventilation. On the State Register of Cultural Properties
Liberty Finance
liberty202 S. Gold

Built in 1893, with wood framed windows. It has been a cobbler, grocery store and a bar. The front brick frame was added by 1930. Inset double doors have a functioning transom. It has a deco brick parapet. Also on the State Register of Cultural Properties.
Luna County Courthouse
courthouse700 S. Silver

The Luna County Courthouse, designed by W.B. Corwin, with tall clock tower and Greek portico was completed in 1910. This style is similar to 19th century, midwest public buildings. To the east is the old jail building from 1918, an example of the decorative brick style designed by Braunton and Liebert of El Paso. The Courthouse is the site of the controversial trails of 30 some Villistas of the Columbus raid of 1916, 4 of whom were hanged in the yard of the county jail. The entire complex is listed on State and National Registers.